We understand how traumatic accidents can be to the people involved as well as to their loved ones. You are entitled to compensation, not just for your injury, but also for current and future wage loss, suffering, ongoing care and rehabilitation.

Every case at Sal Guzzo LL.B. Professional Corporation is handled in a professional and timely manner. Our goal is to serve the best interests of the client by obtaining just and reasonable compensation either by proceeding to trial or by reaching a favourable settlement.

Overview of Service

Accident benefits are available to anyone involved in a motor vehicle accident regardless of who caused the accident. These benefits are commonly referred to as no-fault benefits. Since the early 1990’s, all automobile policies in Ontario have included statutory accident benefits coverage.

At Sal Guzzo, LL.B. Professional Corporation, if you or someone you love was injured in an accident, it is our first priority. We understand all the challenges you face after having been injured. Our goal is to assist you and guide you through the whole process, providing you with the support of an expert law firm that cares for its clients.

Step By Step Instructions

Which benefits are you entitled to after been injured in a car accident?

  • Attendant care benefit
  • Caregiver benefit
  • Housekeeping benefit
  • Income replacement
  • Medical and rehabilitation expenses
  • Non-earner benefit

How much can you claim under accident benefits?

  • Loss of income benefit equal to 80 percent of your net income from employment, to a maximum of $400.00 per week.
  • The income benefit is payable for two years after the accident so long as you are substantially unable to perform the essential tasks of your employment. Income benefit will continue to be paid after two years so long as you are suffering a complete inability to engage in any employment for which you are reasonably suited by education, training or experience.
  • If you were unemployed at the time of the accident, you are not entitled to any weekly benefit for at least six months. However, if you suffer a complete inability to carry on a normal life after six months, you will become entitled to a minimum non-earner benefit.
  • If you were a caregiver at the time of the accident and are unable to carry on your care giving activities, you are entitled to receive the reasonable costs of paying for professional care to a maximum of $250 per week plus $50.00 for each extra child.
  • Medical and rehabilitation expenses are generally limited to $100,000.00. If your injury is “catastrophic” as defined in the regulations, the amount of medical and rehabilitation benefits is increased to $1,000,000.00.
  • Attendant care benefits are generally limited to $72,000.00. However, if your injury is catastrophic, available attendant care benefits increase to $1,000,000.00.
  • Death benefits of $25,000.00 are payable to the deceased’s spouse and an additional $10,000.00 to each of the deceased’s dependents.
  • Funeral expenses are paid to a maximum of $6,000.00.

Personal Assessment

If you have been injured and you are claiming accident benefits we advise you to follow these steps:


Collect all the evidence you can, like prescriptions, treatments, X-Rays, etc.


Get as much information from everyone at the accident scene especially any witnesses.


Write down the plate numbers of the vehicles involved in the accident, names of anyone involved, insurance policy numbers and as much information as you can.


Use your phone or a mobile device with a camera to take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and any other vehicle involved in the accident.


Notify your insurance company immediately of the accident. You have seven days to notify your car insurer of your intention to apply for accident benefits.


You must complete the application forms (including a form substantiating your income loss which must be completed by your employer and a form substantiating your injuries which must be completed by a treating physician).


If you were self-employed, you must be able to substantiate your income and may require the assistance of an accountant.


Only speak to a police officer, fireman or any other authorities that come to the scene. Avoid talking with people you don’t know and do not take any advice from them.


Review the police report and make sure all of the information is accurate. Ensure the little details like your name and address are clearly written to help you to organize your case.


Call Sal Guzzo, LL.B. Professional Corporation immediately at 905-232-9222, set your free consultation appointment; clarify all your concerns and doubts. You have up to three years to start a claim but if you wait until the end you might not collect all the evidence you need to build your case and get the compensation you deserve.


We will explain all of your rights to you clearly so you understand them in our initial consultation with you. This will be followed by a meeting with one our associate lawyers at which point you will be asked to sign a retainer if you wish to continue with the proceedings on your behalf.


We strongly recommend you:


Find a doctor you feel comfortable with. If you don’t feel comfortable with his/her diagnostic ask for a second opinion.


Do your research when it comes to find a specialist doctor.


All the health professions are regulated in Ontario. Do not accept to be review or diagnostic by anybody who is not certified as a doctor, hygienist, dentist or physiotherapist.


As a patient, you are responsible for your care. You must give the doctor all the important information about your condition, your medical history, and any other relevant subject (blood type, diabetes, etc).


If you are not able to go back to work ask for assistance. There are many options when it comes to make a career transition or career change.

Our approach is different
we are humans working for humans. Our goal is
to get the best outcome for our clients.

learn more